In February 2016, you may see information about a levy on the ballot:
- Vancouver Public Schools must consider a replacement maintenance and operations levy this school year. If approved by the superintendent and the board of directors, the measure will be on the Feb. 9 ballot.
- This levy will replace the current levy that expires at the end of 2016.
- Levies fund some of the costs related to maintenance, operations and educational services of schools, which includes teachers and support staff, classroom supplies, special programs and safety and security.
- The district also is in the second year of planning a bond measure.
- Bond sales support capital construction, remodeling and upgrades of our schools.
- The last bond measure the district ran was passed in 2001.
- If approved, a new bond would be used to rebuild several of our oldest schools and to relieve overcrowding.
- The bond also would pay for some improvements and upgrades at all other schools.
- District staff members, parents, students and members of the community have been involved in the initial planning stages and will continue to be involved as planning progresses.