The Mandarin Language Learning Program is an academically challenging and enriching program for developing linguistic proficiency in Mandarin Chinese and English. Students gain a bicultural experience while achieving bilingual fluency. There are many benefits:
- Bilingual students generally demonstrate great academic gains. Research shows that students in language learning programs can develop strong academic skills in addition to becoming proficient in both languages. Research shows that students receive a variety of cognitive benefits, such as greater creative thinking, mental flexibility and the ability to think abstractly.
- Students have the opportunity to achieve true bilingualism and biliteracy in Mandarin and English. Students learn languages more easily at an early age. Immersing and instructing students in the second language provides an effective vehicle for students to learn to speak, read and write proficiently in both languages by fifth grade.
- Students develop cultural literacy as well as enhanced cognitive skills. Language learning program students benefit from the ability to communicate with people from diverse linguistic and cultural backgrounds.
- There is a window of opportunity that occurs between birth and age 10 in which the likelihood of developing higher levels of proficiency in a second language is far greater.
- When compared to a control group of their peers receiving English instruction, bilingual students generally demonstrate greater academic gains.
- By third or fourth grade, students tend to outperform comparable monolingual students.
- Not only do students develop proficiency in the target language, they also develop increased cultural awareness. The ability to interpret cross-cultural interactions is crucial in today’s world.
Deadline to apply is May 4 at 3 p.m.
Upcoming Mandarin Language Learning Program events
Kindergarten Jump Start is a free program for incoming kindergarteners that takes place a few weeks before the school year begins. Students participate in a variety of math, literacy and hands-on activities; learn school routines; and become familiar with their new surroundings.
Data shows that students who attend Jump Start are better prepared for kindergarten than children who do not participate. They also gain confidence, leadership skills and enthusiasm for school. Don’t miss this opportunity to give your child a successful transition to kindergarten! More information will be shared at the spring Kindergarten Roundup.
To register your child, please contact the Franklin office.
An onsite daycare for children and before- and after-school care for school-age children.
Contact us at 360-313-1887.
Hours: 6:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.