The following employees were selected for the October 2019 Excellence Award recognition. They were honored at the Oct. 8 school board meeting. Pictured from left:
- Mary-Catherine McElroy, teacher librarian, Ogden Elementary
- Brienne Schneider, creative movement teacher, Franklin Elementary
- Vanessa Crowe, clerk, McLoughlin Middle School
- LaNnae Pust, teacher, Lake Shore Elementary
- Gina Gasser, counseling clerk, Columbia River High School
The Excellence Award is given to five employees and/or small teams from October to May each school year. Nominations are open to staff, students, parents and community members. Nominees are selected for recognition by a committee of their peers.
Brie is a leader in the arts. At the district level, she’s led professional learning communities, managed arts resources, mentored teachers and coordinated scheduling. Last year at Franklin, she produced three shows and a dance festival—including the score, costume and script. She also offered an improv class and provides culturally relevant opportunities for students. Brie gives students the space to fall in love with the arts. She believes that every child can learn, create and have a positive impact on their world.
Congratulations to these staff members! They join the hundreds of VPS employees who have received Excellence Awards since 2007.